Sunday, October 25, 2009

reader question of the week #2


"I'm having 20 folks (moms, dads, and young pre-school kids) to my house this Friday. I'm struggling with a make-ahead menu. I'm very much about keeping it simple, but with something special and impressive. But this is my very first time having children (lots!) into the house. The main event will be carving pumpkins in our garage. I have prizes for all the kids and a couple for the adults as well. So that's the party. All I can think of in terms of food right now is a soft roll sandwich (turkey loin maybe, something moist and able to be thickly sliced) with cheese and condiment assortment, beenie weenies for kids and adults alike, maybe some chicken breast bites for the kids (so not gourmet!!), and an assortment of cookies and pumpkin cupcakes (homemade). But I have some major gaps in the adult food area. If you have any good make-ahead suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them!! -Mere (in VA)"

5 comments:

e said...

we have a pumpkin carving party every year and i always make chili! i make it the night ahead (brown the beef, etc), and then the morning of the party i cook it on our slow cooker. we have a chili mix in buffet (corn, black beans, avocado, sour cream, hot sauces, tomato, onions, cheese) along side - the kids and adults always love it! add corn bread muffins, dips and chips, and mini hot dogs and you are all set!

PUMPKIN PETUNIA said...

Love the idea of chili!

My party standard is hummus, cucumbers and pita bread. Sometimes I add in roasted peppers. This is always a hit with the adults (and many children) and it works out great for the adults because it is quick and easy finger food that they can eat while keeping an eye on their children.

bridgetwhoplaysfrenchhorn said...

My mom always does a taco bar - she'll do chicken, beef, and calabacitas (sauteed zucchini, summer squash, onions, and bell peppers) plus add your own cheeses, olives, different kinds of salsa, hard and soft tacos, tortilla chips, guacamole, and lettuce (for the taco salad folks). That, and then lots of good desserts. It's nice because you can usually figure out something for everyone to eat.

A Cupcake Life said...

We are serving the kids "mummy dogs" for our Halloween get together. I'm just wrapping the hot dogs with Pillsbury cresent rolls and adding eyes. Super easy!

thrift store gal said...

how about pulled pork sandwiches? throw a pork shoulder in the crockpot with some bbq sauce and you're set! perfect with pork & beans or just some bags of yummy chips!