Tuesday, April 7, 2009

searching for...the golden egg

Whenever my mother put on an Easter egg hunt for me and my brother back in the day- the real competition was not who could find the most eggs, but who could find the Golden Egg. The Golden Egg was 5 times the size of any of the normal eggs, which meant it held 5 times as much candy, and sometimes a little moula, too. The Golden Egg was always tucked into someplace super sneaky. To find it, meant you ruled the day with lots of bragging rights.

Now that I have a child of my own, I am looking back at my family traditions and hoping to recreate them. Unfortunately, in all the moves between then and now, the Golden Egg has gone missing. So I am currently on a hunt for the replacement. Pictured above is the closest I've found, but it still doesn't match my memory of the Golden Egg.

The Golden Egg was a hefty paper-based egg, with gold-y wallpaper-y material on the outside, and lined with a spring-y print reminiscent of a Liberty pattern. It was about 6 or 7 inches long, and maybe 3 or 4 inches deep. 

Alas, I can't seem to find anything that really fits the description. Lucky for me, my son is still young enough to have no clue it's Easter- but perhaps next year! My search carries on...

7 comments:

Donna said...

Sounds like the German-style papier-mache eggs. Some have beautiful spring scenes on the outside, but I've also seen the extra-large foil eggs too. Try searching online for German foil eggs or something along those lines! Probably too late for this year's egg hunt, but it would be great to have it for next year to carry on your family tradition!

Good luck!

Debbie said...

I love that idea! I think I'm gonna steal it for my little guy when he gets of age (if you don't mind?).

I wish I could help you find the perfect golden egg.

Thanks for the great idea!

made sweet said...

fun game!

when i was little my parents would put money in the eggs, which made it a real battle to find them. some eggs had a few pennies, others had dollar bills, and the golden egg was always the major jackpot! we still have the hunt to this day and one year the golden egg had fifty bucks in it! woooeee.

every year we have to decide before the hunt starts if we are going to divvy out the money evenly between everyone after the game is over, or if we're each going to keep what we find. I think every year we get greedy and opt for keeping whatever we get. :) it makes for a great competition.

Our Green Nest said...

Yep, ours was pretty similar with the golden egg containing money and always hidden in a very sneaky place :)...when we got a bit older they added a silver egg to the bunch that contained money too but just not as much as the golden :)...good times! TU for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea.

Alannah Rose said...

love the idea of a golden egg! Sara, your blog is gorgeous and full of so much inspiration, thanks for sharing. I'm an Australian based graphic designer. We've just photographed a couple of gorgeous parties, I'd love to share the images with you if you're interested, couldn't find an email addy for you though.. xx

Frank Hudson said...

Embarking on a quest for an appropriable Golden Egg to your own child, the image you posted has so far come closest. When describing the original Golden Egg with its golden like wall paper exterior and Liberty pattern inspired lining, it adds emotionalism to this search.

Now let’s move to another kind of a searching – flatbed service. As one embarks upon the process of remaking Easter rituals, scanning possible and sharing some information about trustworthy flatbed servicing providers in your blog can be useful for your readership. This is mainly about providing real help for those requiring such assistance as well as making family holiday traditions less sentimental but more practical. We welcome your opinions on both the nostalgic and pragmatic sides of things!