Wednesday, August 27, 2008

a Party of a different sort



In June, my great Aunt Elly passed away at the age of 94. She was revered not only in my family, but by a great deal of people. She was Michigan's first female Republican chairman in 1964, which was a huge triumph- given that she was the first woman to chair any major state political party in U.S. History. She was also the national co-chairwoman of ERAmerica, a coalition that helped in the fight to get the Equal Rights Amendment ratified. She died a registered Independent. Needless to say, she's set the bar high for women in my family. 

The passion she showed for America and our political system fuels my desire to be a part of the political process. I hope- whatever Party you're a part of, and whomever you support- that you will choose to be a part of the elections this November. I have been riveted by the Democratic Convention this week and can't wait to see the Republic Convention on the 1st. 

On that note, Plum Party has a great selection of election party goods- what better way to inspire participation and excitement then throwing a political fete? The political cookies, shown above, are among my favorite things.

2 comments:

PUMPKIN PETUNIA said...

Thank you to your Aunt Elly and all the women who came before her and since paving the way for my 7 year old daughter to get excited about the possibility of a woman president. I have endless admiration for the woman who paved the way in political arena. I hope she passed knowing what a difference she made.

by Sara Hicks Malone said...

Thanks P.P.! She did not have any children, but had a whole host of people that called her 'Mother.' We certainly hope she left this world knowing what a difference she made! Thanks so much for writing.